Type Keyword and Press Enter to Search
×

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

flatlay of big little lies by liane moriarty with jewelry and decorative boxes - book review | book book bitch

Published by Berkley Books on 09 Feb 2017
Goodreads | Amazon

A murder... A tragic accident... Or just parents behaving badly? What's indisputable is that someone is dead.

Madeline is a force to be reckoned with. She's funny, biting, and passionate; she remembers everything and forgives no one. Celeste is the kind of beautiful woman who makes the world stop and stare but she is paying a price for the illusion of perfection. New to town, single mum Jane is so young that another mother mistakes her for a nanny. She comes with a mysterious past and a sadness beyond her years. These three women are at different crossroads, but they will all wind up in the same shocking place.

Big Little Lies is a brilliant take on ex-husbands and second wives, mothers and daughters, schoolyard scandal, and the little lies that can turn lethal.



It took me awhile to get into the mundane suburban gossip, and it reminded me of Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple at first, but I before I knew it, I was as keen on all the gossip as all the mothers were. I particularly loved Madeline; she's loyal af, loves a good fight, and is hilarious.

As the story progressed, the mundane gossip gradually got heavier, involving themes of bullying, domestic violence, and sexual assault.

The first 100 pages were slow but the last 100 pages were wild. Because my mind was lulled into the mundanity of suburban life, the plot twists really caught me.

Now that I've finally read the book, I'm looking forward to binging the show that everyone's talking about! I can already tell that there's gonna be lots and lots of drama!