Type Keyword and Press Enter to Search
×

Bringing Home the Birkin by Michael Tonello

flatlay of bringing home the birkin by michael tonello on hermes scarves - book review | book book bitch

Published by William Morrow on 22 Apr 2008
Goodreads | Amazon

For more than twenty years, the Hermès Birkin bag has been the iconic symbol of fashion, luxury, and wealth. With a fabled waiting list of more than two years to purchase one, the average fashionista has a better chance of climbing Mount Everest in Prada pumps than of possessing this coveted carryall. Unless, of course, she happens to know Michael Tonello...

With down-to-earth wit, Michael Tonello chronicles the unusual ventures that took him to nearly every continent--and from eBay to Paris auction houses and into the lives of celebrities and poseurs alike--on the road to becoming a successful entrepreneur and Robin Hood to thousands of desperate rich women.



As a Hermès lover (cultivated by my mother), I was immediately intrigued by the subject of this book, thought the title was funny, and the rest of the book proved to be just as punchy.

I was going to handle this like a man. I called my mother.

But just because I love Hermès doesn't mean that I don't love a good deal too! I discovered this book whilst browsing a used bookstore and subsequently went to borrow it from my library.

Tonello's business had a thrifty start too, and I was further drawn in by his entrepreneurial spirit. It all began with him selling some of his old luxury items on eBay to make rent and grew to take him all over the world procuring Birkins for those wealthy enough to drop thousands on a single handbag.

I had the ability to perform a trick that was much better than pulling rabbits out of hats--I knew how to pull Birkins out of Hermès.

To give you an idea of how difficult it is to bring home a Birkin, not only do you need to have enough money to buy one (which is a lot), but you also need to find store willing to sell you one. If you walk right into a Hermès and straight up ask for a Birkin, you'll likely be told that there's a waiting list of two years.

Like my steaks, I took my Hermès handbags as rare as I could get them.

We learn Tonello's tips and tricks as we follow him on his escapades. This fast-paced business was reflected in this fast-paced book, and it was exciting to read about such an extravagant lifestyle that I could never hope to experience myself.

I was already familiar with many of the strategies Tonello shared (in theory) (whether I have the financial capacity to carry it out in practice is another story) (spoiler: I don't), and I don't know whether his "formula" is too transparent to implement successfully nowadays (mind this book was published in 2008), but it was still of fun to live vicariously through his anecdotes, meet interesting characters, and feel like I was in on the scheme.

Follow